Anyway, on to the Project Quilting challenge for this week, All About That Thread. I had an idea almost immediately. I visualized a gray moon on a beige background with big-stitch quilting. I thought about a gauze overlay (tea-dyed cheesecloth), so I gathered all the materials. I found I had some Osnaberg (sp?) fabric in my stash and that made the perfect background. I pulled some hand-dyes, cut some pieces and layed them on the background. Viola! Winterscape was born.
I ditched the gauze idea. It looked neat in photos, but not so much in real life. The moon and the trees/buildings are appliquilted down with a 20 weight thread. The qduilting is done with perle cotton and big stitches. It has a modern, yet primative feel. Maybe I invented a new "genre" of quilting. :)
I was going to bind it with a separate binding from the Osnaberg, but since I had the Osnaberg on the back, I decided to save myself some time by just folding the back to the front. I stitched it down with big stitches. It is 18" square. This is my first attempt at big stitching and I really like it.