Sunday, January 25, 2015

Quilting Past My Bedtime, part 2

As promised, the story behind my PQ Season 6 Challenge 2.  It's called Here Comes the Sun(flowers).
I was really having trouble coming up with an idea.  I had multiple thoughts running through my head, but none that really spoke to me.  I wanted to do something different, out-of-the-box, but my ideas seemed cliche.  Finally, I pulled out some books for inspiration and the one that caught my eye was Flower Garden from the book 25 Ways to Sew Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes, and Charm Packs.  I have wanted to do this quilt and immediately saw the sunrise yellows, oranges, and pinks as the flower petals.  I pulled this great gray batik I got in Montana last summer and the quilt was started!  

The song that was running through my head was Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles, especially these lyrics: Little darling
It's been a long, cold lonely winter
Little darling
It feels like years since it's been here

Little darling
I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling
It seems like years since it's been clear

The gray background represents the winter, the darkness, the ice, and the flowers represent the sunrise on that first spring morning when you know winter is done.  The flowers bloom, the sun warms the earth, and the ice is gone again.

Read more: Beatles - Here Comes The Sun Lyrics | MetroLyrics 


 
Oh, look.  The chicken has appeared again!  She says the flowers are too big and they kinda scare her.  She likes the Wonky Trees best so far, but she's looking forward to the rest of the PQ challenges to see which one will be her home.


2 comments:

  1. Ha! That chicken is so fun. :) Beautiful quilt. That grey batik is awesome! www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely fabulous! I love what you came up with and I agree - the chicken looked better in the trees :) The chicken journey is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete