Friday, June 27, 2014

Exploded Panel

This month's Project Quilting Off-Season challenge is done.  I call it Exploded Panel.  It is 32" x 34" and I made it right here in Reedsburg, WI.  In this challenge, we had to use a panel or cheater cloth to make a quilt.  I am happy to say that I suggested this to Kim and she used my idea.  :)  I used Ricky Timm's Convergence to make the quilt.  I finished it yesterday, so ignore the date on photo.  I really need to update that on my camera.

Here is a picture of what the panel looked like before I cut into it.  I've had this panel for a long time, waiting for the right project to come along.  I have to admit I was kind of scared to cut into it.  Doing a Convergence takes a leap of faith--you really don't know exactly what it will look like when it is finished.  I used two of my hand-dyes and a commercial batik with the panel to start the Convergence.  Below to the right is a picture of what it started to look like after the first cuts.  At that point, I knew I was going to like it.  Below to the left is a close up of the "exploded" panel.  I really like that skinny border in the chartreuse.  It adds a great pop to the piece.