Saturday, April 26, 2014

Birthday Challenge

So, here is my birthday challenge for Project Quilting.  Based on the month and day of your birthday, you were assigned colors.  Mine were orange and maroon.  I call this Tangerine Cosmo for my Birtthday.  I had a tangerine cosmo on my birthday, so the colors and name are fitting, right down to the green representing the lime wedge.  The finished quilt is 60x60.
I really like it.  I used a pattern from a modern patchwork magazine published by Quiltmaker.  The original design, called Prill, was more helter-skelter.  I changed the layout to the pinwheels, then added the green diamond in the center to break up all the orange.  I hand-dyed the orange and pulled the rest of the fabrics from my stash.  I have to say I have been using a lot of stash in the PQ projects.  Not enough to make a dent, but at least I feel I'm being thrifty.
Here is a close-up of the binding.  I did the faux piping.  Most of the piping was maroon, but I added a hint of the green to keep that theme going.  I'm happy with the finished product.  I used a bamboo/cotton batting, which I absolutely love.  I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

My birthday is February 22 and I quilt in Reedsburg, WI.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Graduated Spiral

Here is the Triple Threat Challenge project.  I call it Graduated Spiral.  It is about 34x40.  The challenge involved using fabric from a package purchased from Persimmon Dreams.  The package also included embellishments.  I had to use a recognizable amount of each fabric, as well as the embellishments.
This is a picture of the package I received.  Quite an interesting combination of fabrics and extras.


In addition to using the fabrics and the embellishments, there had to be three star blocks, three nine patches, and one other traditional block.  I used three bulls-eye blocks and three yo-yos to fulfill the other traditional block requirement.  As you can see, I opted to turn my blocks into circles, then spiral them around.

I made one circle block with the embellishments and I ended the spiral with the floral embellishments.  I put all the leftover fabric on the back.