Sunday, March 23, 2014
So, here is my entry for the final challenge of Project Quilting's Season 5. I see I forgot to change the date on my camera again. I use it so infrequently, I forget to check stuff like the date.
Anyway, I finally finished it at about midnight. It is 54" x 61". I call it Triangulated Disaster because I ran into one problem after another last night trying to finish it. The only good thing that happened was my Wisconsin Badger basketball team won their game and are moving on to the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday.
Where do I start? Well, this week was crazy and it was hard to find time to carve out to create. Last Sunday, I had grading to do and I really had no idea what I was going to do. I had Kaffe Fassett fabrics floating around in my head, so I did want to include them. A post on Pinterest by my friend Patsy spurred the design process. The quilt she posted was similar, but had used pieces from an old quilt where I have my triangles.
Monday, I was able to sew, but didn't have the right gray fabric. I stopped at Joann's after work on Tuesday and found the gray, but my son had a choir concert, so there was no sewing for me that night. Wednesday, I went out to dinner with a friend, but I did manage to get the center pieced. I put the green squiggle (Kaffe Fassett shot cotton) on because it just seemed to need it.
Saturday, I worked my second job, so it was about 6 pm before I got to sew. I still had a ton of work ahead of me. I turned the TV on to the Badger game and this is what happened between 6 pm and midnight: a needle broke, I ran out of thread at 11 and didn't have any similar thread to finish the project (finished it with monofilament), in two separate spots the backing flipped over and I quilted it (what a mess!), the backing was about 1/4" short in one corner (of course, I didn't notice this until I had finished quilting), and, worst of all, my sewing machine table broke. The little piece of chain that holds the platform for making it a flatbed broke in the middle of my free motion. Scared the crap out of me, but nothing else broke.
I love the final product. The Kaffe fabrics are perfect for this and I think the colored squiggles scattered throughout it are cool. I used a bamboo/cotton blend batting that is great to quilt through.
Now to focus on the Triple Threat challenge......