Sunday, March 23, 2014

Triangulated Disaster

So, here is my entry for the final challenge of Project Quilting's Season 5.  I see I forgot to change the date on my camera again.  I use it so infrequently, I forget to check stuff like the date.

Anyway, I finally finished it at about midnight.  It is 54" x 61".  I call it Triangulated Disaster because I ran into one problem after another last night trying to finish it.  The only good thing that happened was my Wisconsin Badger basketball team won their game and are moving on to the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday.

Where do I start?  Well, this week was crazy and it was hard to find time to carve out to create.  Last Sunday, I had grading to do and I really had no idea what I was going to do.  I had Kaffe Fassett fabrics floating around in my head, so I did want to include them.  A post on Pinterest by my friend Patsy spurred the design process. The quilt she posted was similar, but had used pieces from an old quilt where I have my triangles.

Monday, I was able to sew, but didn't have the right gray fabric. I stopped at Joann's after work on Tuesday and found the gray, but my son had a choir concert, so there was no sewing for me that night.  Wednesday, I went out to dinner with a friend, but I did manage to get the center pieced.  I put the green squiggle (Kaffe Fassett shot cotton) on because it just seemed to need it.
Thursday, I met with quilt friends and Friday we went to a catfish fry fundraiser for the Lake Delton fire department.  Yummy, but I was left with little time to sew.

Saturday, I worked my second job, so it was about 6 pm before I got to sew.  I still had a ton of work ahead of me.  I turned the TV on to the Badger game and this is what happened between 6 pm and midnight:  a needle broke, I ran out of thread at 11 and didn't have any similar thread to finish the project (finished it with monofilament), in two separate spots the backing flipped over and I quilted it (what a mess!), the backing was about 1/4" short in one corner (of course, I didn't notice this until I had finished quilting), and, worst of all, my sewing machine table broke.  The little piece of chain that holds the platform for making it a flatbed broke in the middle of my free motion.  Scared the crap out of me, but nothing else broke.

I love the final product.  The Kaffe fabrics are perfect for this and I think the colored squiggles scattered throughout it are cool.  I used a bamboo/cotton blend batting that is great to quilt through.

Now to focus on the Triple Threat challenge......

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rough week

This has certainly been a rough week at school.  As I mentioned in my post last week, one of my students died. He was involved in a snowmobile accident.  The outpouring of emotions from my students has been difficult to witness.  There was sorrow and grief, sometimes anger, many tears and laughter and smiles, too.  Some students were inappropriate, but that is a result of them being so young (7th grade) and unable to handle the situation.

I was at the visitation last night.  I stayed the whole time and hugged a lot of students and teachers.  We on the 7th grade teaching team did well all week, holding it together for the kids, but we hit our wall yesterday.  We finally gave ourselves a chance to grieve, too.  For me, it hits too close to home.  My son is only two years older than Zach.  You never know when a loved one will be taken from you.

My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Zach's family and friends.  They will need time, love, and support to heal.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Grocery Store Challenge

It is with a heavy heart that I post this morning.  I learned that one of my students passed away over the weekend in a snowmobile accident.  He was a seventh grade; definitely too young to die.  Please say a prayer for his family and all his young friends.

My challenge seems awfully sunny and bright to follow such sad news, but here it is.  I call it Citrus Salad and my three inspirations were lemons, limes, and oranges.  It is ironing pad and tote to take my travel iron to classes in.
The orange and yellow wedges are leftovers from another project. I am making a quilt for my oldest grandson using construction truck fabric.  I cut the blocks wonky, so the orange and yellow are the trimmings from the wonky cuts.
Here it is laying open.  I've had that travel iron for about 25 years and it is still going strong.  Gotta love Black and Decker products!  For the batting, I used a sample of InsulFab by Warm that I've had laying around for awhile.  I covered both sides of the InsulFab with muslin.
Here's the catch...I can't figure out how to fold the darn thing.  The directions I got off the internet were great for the construction part of the project, but they showed the whole thing folded up without step-by-step directions to do it.  You should have seen my husband and I trying to figure it out!  Well, it's done and I have been wanting to make one for awhile.  Thanks again, Project Quilting, for getting my butt in gear!