Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Flanges on quilts

Here are the promised pictures of how I put flanges on quilts.








This picture shows the 1" cut strip and the strip pressed in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. When I joined more than one strip together, I use a diagonal seam.













Here is the flange basted onto the edge of the quilt. I baste it using an 1/8" seam allowance. I like to baste the flange on so it stays put when I add the border.





















This shows the border with the flange. A very nice touch of color.












At the corners, I just overlapped the flanges.







Here you can see the two lines of stitching--the basting stitches for the flange and the regular seam for the border. By using an 1/8" seam allowance for basting, it's covered by the border seam so I don't have rip anything out! I plan on putting a red flange on the quilt before I put a blue binding on it.











I hope you try a flange on your next quilt!

3 comments:

  1. Boy could I have used this about two years ago when I tried to do one. Thanks for the Tutorial Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a short post linking people over here to see your Flange Tutorial. This is really great. I hope you keep a page with links to your tutorials when you do them so that they are easy to find when we come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try this on a future quilt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete