Here is a picture of my Little Twister quilt. I added the border in order to use up some of the "waste" from cutting the twister blocks. You sew together 5" charm squares and add a 2 1/2" border. Using the Little Twister ruler, you cut it apart and sew it together to get the whirligig pattern. It is fun and fast. They make a larger ruler to use with 10" layer cakes.
Monday, October 25, 2010
I'm working on a new quilt top using the Little Twist ruler. It's turning out really cute and is a great way to use those 5" charm squares. There is some waste--the pattern says 1/4 to 1/3 waste. I can't stand to see good fabric go to waste, so I squared up the leftovers and am using them in the border. It will make the quilt a little bigger. I'll post pics when I get the top done.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
This is a picture of the results of the ice dyeing from yesterday. It is a gorgeous piece of fabric; almost too pretty to cut up. Stephen really liked it. He liked how crisp and clear the colors are.
The second picture is a piece of fabric I dyed with the "drippings" from the ice dyeing. I put the screen over a plastic container to catch the run-off. Of course, I couldn't just let that go to waste, so I put a piece of fabric in it. It turned out great. Sometimes the best pieces are those I dye so as to not waste leftover dye. Once I rinsed the fabric, it turned out more blue than it shows in the picture. It is definitely more subtle than the first.
I'm trying another ice dyeing method. I crushed up plain ice in the blender and put it on top of the fabric. Then I crushed up the "dyce" cubes with the hammer and sprinkled it on top of the plain ice. This will be closer to the snow dyeing technique I want to try out. Watch for the results!
I need to sell some of my fabric. I'm almost out of white fabric to dye. If I sell some of my pieces, then I can have enough money to buy another bolt of blank fabric to dye some more. Feed my habit.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
OMG. It's been three months since I last posted. No real excuse. I've been quilting and dyeing, not to mention getting back to school and teaching new curriculum. I'm teaching language arts this year in addition to social studies and I love it. I love language arts and I hope that I'm passing that passion to my students.
Today, I tried something new--ice dyeing. I froze several different dyes in an ice cube tray. After they were frozen, I crushed them by putting the cubes in a plastic bag and pounding them with a hammer. My husband said I should put them in a blender, but the hammer worked, plus I didn't have to buy a "dedicated" dye blender. I soaked my fabric in soda ash solution, then layed it on a screen I scavenged from someone's trash. I put the crushed dye cubes on top of the fabric. Now I'm just waiting for the dye cubes to melt. I can't wait to see the results! The picture shows my set-up.