Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thank You, Judy Niemeyer!


I'm working on a foundation pieced quilt, designed by Judy Niemeyer. It's called Hawaiian Star. Judy's pattern are fantastic. At first glance, they may look a little pricey, BUT all of the papers for the foundation piecing are pre-printed. No tracing or going to the copy machine. The paper she uses is a lightweight newsprint. Strong enough to stand up to sewing and the occasional ripping (not that I would know about that!), yet easy to remove. Her directions are phenomenal! They are very detailed and she includes templates to help you pre-cut your pieces to the appropriate size, so there is minimal fabric waste. This is good for me, because when I foundation piece, I usually cut the pieces too small and have to start over again.


Anybody wishing to try foundation piecing should check out Judy's website, quiltworx. She has tons of patterns at various different levels. http://www.quiltworx.com/


The picture shows two pieces that I'm working on right now. I have a small table with my cutting board sitting to my left, so I don't have to get up to trim. My iron sits to my right. I just twist and turn and don't have to get up. I can really get pieces cranked out this way!

1 comment:

  1. She does have fantastic designs. I saw a couple of her patterns done up and entered in the Quilt Show at Sewing Expo in Madison. They really stood out as fabulous designs. They looked hard though. It is really good to hear your opinion about doing one. Would love to see a hyperlink to her patterns in your post. I can help you if you don't know how. Just give me a call and I will walk you through it fast.

    ReplyDelete