Saturday, November 29, 2014

6 am--not this chick!

The theme for the November Project Quilting Challenge is to be inspired by 6 am.  Those of you who know me well know that 6 am and I don't get along very well.  I am NOT a morning person!  It's hard to be inspired by 6 am when I'd rather be in bed.  So, here is my rooster, who had better not dare to wake me up.  I call him "Cock-a-doodle-DON'T."  He's small--13'' x 11'' and is made from Kaffe Fassett fabrics (the background is one of my hand-dyes).  He is kinda cute.
The binding is fused.  I cut 1" strips, then used a decorative rotary cutter blade to trim the strips.  After I fused the binding on, I stitched it down.  I like this finish for a small project.

Friday, October 31, 2014

October Challenge

October has been a busy month, but it has been great.  I am really loving the school year thus far--much better than last year!  I'm feeling more productive in my quilting than last year.  Being happier makes it easier to be motivated to quilt.

So, this month, the challenge was to be inspired by candy corn.  Here is my piece, A Leaf from the Candy Corn Tree.  It is Judy Niemeyer's pattern One.  My son helped me pick out the background colors.  It is 20" x 40".

 Below is a close up of the leaf.  I used my yellow and orange hand-dyes for the leaf and a purple hand-dye for the center vein.  The picture on the right shows a close-up of the binding.  I managed to make a perfect switch in the binding color as I transitioned from one background color to the other.  I'm pretty proud of myself.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Challenge

Here is my miniature for the September Project Quilting Challenge.  I call it "The House on Apple Tree Hill."  It is 13" x 16" and with the exception of the multi-colored strips, it is made of my hand-dyes.  It is a pattern by Laura Wasilowski.  I think it turned out pretty cute.

This has been a great month.  I started my new teaching job and LOVE it!  What a change from a year ago.  I really do better with the younger kids.  I have to say the Project Quilting challenges helped me keep my sanity last school year.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Red and White Challenge

August has been another crazy month.  I was taking some grad classes, and of course, there is all of the back-to-school inservices.  It seems like I didn't have any time to work on the challenge.  I've done everyone so far this year, so I figured I'd better make sure to get this one done, too.  I started and finished it yesterday.  It is 9 1/2" square.  I had plans for something bigger, but life got in the way.

I call this Playing With ThRED.  It's loosely based on a Zentangle design.  I think it turned out pretty cute.  It did give me a chance to work on my machine quilting skills.  I'm never going to be able to do fine, heirloom quilting, but I like the modern look.

This is another reason I did not have time to work on the red and white challenge.  It is a quilt that will be donated to my church's fall festival to be auctioned off.  I spent time at the school run by my church last spring, working with the then-7th grade students.  They cut and sewed the blocks, then I put the whole thing together and quilted it.  The festival is a week from today, so it had to be done.  I work best under a deadline.  :)

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Independence PQ Challenge

This month's Project Quilting challenge is based on the theme Independence.  Well, this month is a little crazy for me.  I'm taking two graduate classes, I had the grandsons at my house for four days and I'm leaving for my Quiltworx retreat in Montana on Thursday.  Not much time to squeeze in a project, so I made a red, white, and blue scarf.  Ok, so it's not a quilt, but the rules say the project has to be pieced, appliqued, and/or quilted to count.  The scarf is pieced.  It's an infinity scarf and now I have something patriotic to wear to Independence Day celebrations.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Exploded Panel

This month's Project Quilting Off-Season challenge is done.  I call it Exploded Panel.  It is 32" x 34" and I made it right here in Reedsburg, WI.  In this challenge, we had to use a panel or cheater cloth to make a quilt.  I am happy to say that I suggested this to Kim and she used my idea.  :)  I used Ricky Timm's Convergence to make the quilt.  I finished it yesterday, so ignore the date on photo.  I really need to update that on my camera.


Here is a picture of what the panel looked like before I cut into it.  I've had this panel for a long time, waiting for the right project to come along.  I have to admit I was kind of scared to cut into it.  Doing a Convergence takes a leap of faith--you really don't know exactly what it will look like when it is finished.  I used two of my hand-dyes and a commercial batik with the panel to start the Convergence.  Below to the right is a picture of what it started to look like after the first cuts.  At that point, I knew I was going to like it.  Below to the left is a close up of the "exploded" panel.  I really like that skinny border in the chartreuse.  It adds a great pop to the piece.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Mini Dresdens

So here is my challenge piece for the PQ measurement challenge.  The challenge was to use a ruler you have and have never used.  Like a quilter would ever have rulers she hasn't used.  The ruler I used was the EZ Dresden.  I was going to make this big, but I decided that 20x20" was enough.  I will probably use the ruler again and make big Dresedens.  The fabric in the center of the Dresedens and the center of the quilt is for the Sun Prairie Quilt Show Challenge.  You need to use that fabric and the theme was circles or curves.  So, one challenge piece meets the criteria of two challenges.  The bonus is that the Sun Prairie challenge isn't due until March.  I'm actually ahead of the game!
Here's a close-up.  The spokes in the Dresdens are some of my hand-dyes.  Nothing really spectacular, but it is kinda cute.